Review: Champion by Marie Lu


Champion (Legend, #3) by Marie Lu
Publisher: November 5th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 369

He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position.

But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything.

With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.
"Time heals all wounds. But not this one. Not yet.
I finished Champion about ten minutes ago. I still don't know what to think. From page 305, I'm glad to say I finished that part in one sitting. The ending left me in tears, as well did the epilogue. I'm so glad Champion didn't turned out to be a major dissapointment. Yet I'm so sad to not be able to rate this any higher than four stars.

I dove straight into Champion with very high expectations. The Republic is on the edge of war. The action-packed events in Prodigy leave you devestated. Sadly, there wasn't much happening in most of this book. From one point to another it just seemed like Marie Lu was writing without thinking what she wrote.

I really don't like writing negative details down about such a wonderful book, so I'm just going to write some down that really did it for me. Champion might be the only Distopian YA novel I've read, that does include other countries, other worlds. Despite the trip being boring, I couldn't help myself being fascinated about how it's like in other countries. For me, that was a big addition to the final world building. Also that June plot twist? I did not see that one coming, at all. Whilst I remembered some details about Prodigy, there were others I completely forgot. Well played, Marie Lu. Well played.

So maybe it wasn't as fast paced and action-packed as I thought it would be, I still enjoyed it very much. The painful ending left me statisfied. And now.. I'm going to wait for The Young Elites, I guess.

Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home