Review: The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan

8130427The Demigod Files (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan
Published: February 10th 2009 by Hyperion Books
Pages: 160

If you're reading this book, your life is about to get a lot more dangerous. 

In these top-secret files, Rick Riordan, Camp Half-Blood's senior scribe, gives you an inside look at the world of demigods that NO regular human child is allowed to see. 

These highly classified archives include three of Percy Jackson's most perilous adventures, a Spotter's Guide to Monsters, a Who's Who in Greek mythology, Percy's Summer Camp report and much more. 

 So, if you're armed with this book, you'll have everything you need to know to keep you alive in your training. Your own adventures have just begun...
"If I was going to pick one person in the world to reattach my head," I said, "I'd pick you."
I'm being nothing but honest here when I say I don't want to deal with my feelings, which may have something to do with 'The Blood of Olympus'. Because I'm not ready yet to express my thoughts about the final book in the Heroes of Olympus series, it only seemed logical that I would read the only book out of all the Percy Jackson books I haven't read yet: 'The Demigod Files'. I couldn't have picked a better time, because this was a perfect guide from my Percy Jackson withdrawal.

I would definitely describe 'The Demigod Files' as a quick and fun inbetween-read. It made me smile several times throughout the book and brought along a lot of nostalgia. At times I felt like I could pick up 'The Lightning Thief' again and re-read the entire series. The interviews were all so well-done. It's no secret that Riordan knows his characters. It was like he just fished them out of his books to have a little chat with them. I'm also considering to also buy this book in hardcover. Not so it can match all the other Percy Jackson books, but because it's impossible to do the crossword puzzles and other games on an e-reader.

Heading onto the stories themselves, there were three stories to be found in 'The Demigod Files', all set after the events of 'The Battle of the Labyrinth' and 'The Last Olympian', considering the publishing date. I loved all three of them, some more than others, but each one still featured the characters I love so dearly.

Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot

This story mainly focuses on Clarisse and Percy as they head into an adventure to return Ares's stolen chariot, as the title suggests. Knowing the relationship between the two of them before the events of 'The Last Olympian', they aren't exactly on good terms. That was definitely the case here. Despite some action scenes and the scene at the end with Clarisse and her fear, all they really do is argue and comment. I always loved their rivalry throughout the Percy Jackson books, but to have that spread out in a short story isn't so enjoyable as it might sound.

Percy Jackson and the Bronze Dragon

Rick Riordan, I see what you did there. At least, I do hope that that bronze dragon was a reference to Festus. Oh, how I loved this story. It contained the beginning of a romance between Silena Beauregard and Charles Beckendorf, a random but hilarious input of acid ants and scenes I'll always love: Percabeth moments. This definitely brought me back to when everything was still okay. I kept smiling throughout the short story and I just absolutely loved every single aspect of it.

Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades

What's not to love about a story with demigods of The Big Three? It's rare to see them team up and therefore something I appreciated to the fullest. Filled with action and whitty remarks from Percy, Nico and Thalia, there's nothing more to be said about a story that I loved.

Eventually I'll have to get over it and deal with the fact that this series is over. I will, but in the meantime, I'll still be here on my cloud with my thoughts of Camp Half-Blood.


Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home