UNITED BY JAMIE CAMPBELL

Title: Unite
Series: Project Integrate, #1
Author: Jamie Campbell
Publisher: Patchwork Press
Rating: 
"I can't. Going into hiding will ruin the whole project." I didn't waste seventeen years being different just to hide at the end and not see it through. "I'm not doing it. I'll either win or die trying."
- Amery, Unite
Seventeen years ago an entire generation of aliens were sent to Earth in order to save their home planet and integrate into the human population. Now, those aliens are being hunted.
Amery Jones is your typical teenager, except for the fact that she is an alien and a member of the government's secret Project Integrate. When Amery's best friend Lola is kidnapped in order to get her, there is only one person that can help - the exceedingly annoying and charming Lochie Mercury.
Together, Amery and Lochie must put aside their differences and attraction in order to rescue Lola before it's too late.

Thank you Netgalley and Jamie Campbell for providing me with a copy of this book!

Not going to lie: I went straight into this book with a thought of it going to dissapoint me, just as I thought with the previous one. I haven't read many alien books, but every book except The Host has managed to disappoint. I thought this was going to be just like the others, especially because it's self-published. I think I should stop with making prejudices because it did not disappoint at all.

I am not the biggest alien fan of all times, but a unique storyline always catches my attention. The story starts with the protagonist, Amery Jones, being disturbed from her daydream when she figures out she has to do a project with the one she hates, Lochie Mercury. Then, we get a scene where Amery and Lochie run away from men in suits. That was what kept me reading and pulled me into the story. When a story begins with something weird happening, you're immediately interested and keep on reading. From there until the kidnapping, I was waiting around for something big to happen, which I eventually got. Not only the events, but also the good writing kept me reading on until I eventually finished it. I have to say: it was good. Not fantastic or wonderful, but good.

As it felt like an important piece of the novel to talk about, I don't think Amery's hate towards Lochie come across very realistically. It would have made more sense if we actually got a background why she hates the guy, or if she has a crush on him but denies it. I have a feeling that that's what it's all about, yet it doesn't have to be covered with insta-hate. The way he acted around her is what I'd call friendly, not irritating. They have great dialogues together, one shouldn't ruin those.

Unfortunately, the hate wasn't the only unbelievable thing in Unite. I'm not talking about the alien aspect of the book, but for example about how Lola got over her best friend being an alien way too quickly. Or, how Lochie and Amery managed to escape without any trouble, while it is clearly stated that this mysterious organisation is very organised and dangerous. I think it has become quite clear what my biggest struggle with this book was. Another issue would have to be the lack of depth in characters, such as Lola and Amery's parents.

To make this review short: I enjoyed it. It definitely has something interesting about it: good dialogues, a unique plot, a good pace, yet the unbelievability in certain scenes couldn't be ignored.


Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home