Review: Alex by Lauren Oliver

22922929Alex (Delirium, #3.5) by Lauren Oliver
Published: November 25th 2014 by HarperCollins
Pages: 37

This captivating digital original story set in the world of Lauren Oliver's New York Times bestselling Delirium series focuses on Alex, Lena's first love.

When Alex sacrificed himself to save Lena, he thought he was committing himself to certain death, but what he got was almost worse. Imprisoned and tortured by the guards, his mind forces him to relive a past he would rather forget. But in the dark he grows stronger. Both hopeful and terrified, he fights to find his way back to her and the love he still clings to.

In this digital story that will appeal to fans of Delirium and welcome new admirers to its world, readers will learn of Alex's time after the events of Delirium, as well as the dark past that he has tried to forget.
"Let me tell you something about dying: it's not as bad as they say. It's the coming-back-to-life part that hurts."
Not only did Alex bring me back to the world I loved so dearly, but also to Lauren Oliver's remarkable and beautiful writing style. Despite the story being something completely different I did not expect at all, the writing surely made up for it. I love how the author can turn the most cruel things and the most dark stories - such as this one - into something so beautiful to read.

To start with the story itself, I equally loved and hated how surprised I am. While I did expect to read from the point of view of Alex, Lena's first love interest who I dislike, I didn't expect to encounter a story set directly after the events of the first book in the series, Delirium. Blame me for not having read the synopsis properly, but I first thought it would take place after Requiem, so it could finally give the series that satisfactory ending. My biggest wish wasn't granted, and it did have some impact on how much I enjoyed the story. Still, it turned out to be better than expected.

Alex isn't the character who I love dearly. At least, not when you compare it to the rest of the Delirium fandom. I belonged to the little group of Julena, and therefore hated the appearance of Alex in the third and final book. Yet I feel like this novella has made me look at him in a very different way than the novels did. Being in this guy's head is nothing compared the the perspective of Lena. He tells his story so you cannot help but feel compassionate. Now I only want to see more of him, read more from his perspective. If only Lauren Oliver could write another short story of when he meets Lena again. *puppy dog eyes*

All in all, I'm just mostly surprised with Alex. If you've been avoiding this one for a while now, do pick it up. I highly recommend it for every Delirium fan out there.


Aurélie Cremers is an eighteen-year-old living in Belgium. As an active member on Goodreads, Edelweiss and Amazon, she's always spreading her reviews to express her opinion and influences her followers to read the books she fairly enjoyed. When she's not writing, you can find her at her local bookstore or in a classroom. With her blog, "Exploring Pages", Aurélie hopes to gain a larger public in the near future and to continue that what she'll always love doing: writing.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home